Prairie View offers free caregiver support groups to help you stay healthy.
- East Wichita: Prairie View Legacy Park, 9333E. 21st St. N., 3-4:30 pm, 1st Tuesday
- West Wichita: Prairie View-Reflection Ridge, 7570 W. 21st St. N., 3-4:30 pm, 3rd Tuesday
- Harvey County: Prairie View-Newton, 1901 E. First St., 3-4:30 pm, 2nd Thursday
Did you know…
- Caregivers of older adults are at increased risk for health problems and depression have 46% more physician visits than their peers.
- Caregivers for someone with dementia report 46% more physician visits, use 70% more prescription drugs, are more likely to be hospitalized than peers, and are three times more likely to be depressed than others in their age group.
- A study of spouse-caregivers of Alzheimer's patients in New York found that treating the caregiver by individual and family counseling and support group participation reduced nursing home placement by 50% over those in a control group in the first year.
Prairie View’s Caregiver Services offer counseling, consultation, support groups, training and encouragement to those in Harvey, Sedgwick and Butler counties who are giving primary care to older adults.